Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Week 2 - Day 11 - Mt Maunganui


Spent the afternoon walking the boardwalk up to Mt Maunganui. The beach was a wide expanse of sand. Lots of shells wash up on the beach. Infact further along the whole beach was shells.

Alan and I will have to go back next week to walk the beach and climb Mt Maunganui. The waves at the beach were huge.



Lots of surfers were out playing in the waves. No one was in swimming...the water is too cold. The wind off the Pacific was strong. We all have rosy cheeks from the afternoon.

Something interesting I have noticed in the grocery store is the pet food. At first I was amazed at the variety of ground meats New Zealanders eat. Then with closer inspection I realized that it was the fresh cat and dog food section. The section was a full cooler about one and half meters wide with at least twenty choices for both cats and dogs. The meat is packaged in plastic tubes, like I sometimes see as bulk hamburger.

Alan picking oranges in the back yard of the holiday home.

With food as a continued theme, I cannot believe the variety of gluten/milk free foods that are available. I even had a hamburger in a bun, in a restaurant, that was regularly on the menu. I have found excellent breads, cookies and cake as well.... no dieting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment